You are not the same person that you were this time last year, therefore I recommend that you approach new year goal setting with that kind of attitude, NEW YEAR goal setting.
It is well documented that people who set goals are successful, because they have created something that they can work towards, they have entered a destination into their sat nav of life, and now they can sit back and enjoy the ride, focusing on the road ahead safe in the knowledge that something else is taking care of the navigation while they experience the joy of the journey, surmounting the obstacles, solving the problems, while all the time getting closer and closer to their goal.
A life without goals is like a car journey with no destination, long and pointless!
There is no secret formula when it comes to setting goals. It is quite a simple process. What do I want to achieve, and by when do I want to achieve it, and how will I know when I have achieved it, and what will it feel like to achieve it.
So lets break this down;
- What do I want to achieve?
- Work – Get 10 new clients
- Personal – Lose 5lb
- When do I want to achieve it by?
- Work – Get 10 new clients each month from January 2015 onwards
- Personal – Lose 5lb by the Easter Holidays – April 2015
- How will I know when I have achieved it?
- Work – When I review my quarterly results with my coach in April 2015
- Personal – When I come to shop for new holiday clothes in April 2015
- What will it feel like to achieve these goals?
- Work – It will feel amazing because it means that I will have managed to double my current monthly targets
- Personal – I will be able to wear my swimwear with confidence on holiday for the first time in as long as I can remember.
For the purposes of this exercise I gave two example goals, one for work and one for your personal life. I suggest that when you do this exercise for yourself that you set 3-5 goals for both of these areas of your life.
The key to successful goal setting is to set goals that you really want to achieve and, that you can clearly articulate how you think you will feel when you have achieved them, as it can become too easy to get lost in the treadmill of life.
For more information about how coaching could help you set effective, and achievable goals for your life and business in 2015 visit my website. www.abigailbarnes.co.uk/packages where you will options to suit all requirements.